Below you can find a selected bibliography of various theological loci which are explicated by those informed by the majority world. This is by no means exhaustive, but meant to be a starting point for readings. Feel free to send me a note if there are any must-adds.
I have focused on monographs in English—both parameters (monograph + English) limit the list significantly (see my blog post). To complement this, secondary sources are included, but kept to a minimum and marked with a ‘‡’.
- Bongmba, Elias Kifon, ed. The Routledge Handbook of African Theology. Abingdon: Routledge, 2020.
- Boyd, Robin. An Introduction to Indian Christian Theology, rev. ed. Delhi: ISPCK, 1975. ‡
- Chan, Simon. Grassroots Asian Theology: Thinking the Faith from the Ground Up. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2014.
- Gener, Timoteo D. and Stephen T. Pardue, eds. Asian Christian Theology: Evangelical Perspectives. Carlisle: Langham, 2019.
- Kidwell, Clara Sue, Homer Noley, and George E. Tinker. A Native American Theology. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2001.
- Michael, Matthew. Christian Theology and African Traditions. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2013.
- Oduyoye, Mercy. Hearing and Knowing: Theological Reflections on Christianity in Africa. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1986.
- Orabator, Agbo. Theology Brewed in an African Pot. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2008.
- Parratt, John. Reinventing Christianity: African Theology Today. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1995. ‡
- Prior, Randall G. Contextualizing Theology in the South Pacific: The Shape of Theology in Oral Cultures. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2019. ‡
- Raheb, Mitri. Faith in the Face of Empire. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2014.
- Sobrino, Jon and Ignacio Ellacuría, eds. Systematic Theology: Perspectives from Liberation Theology. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1996.
- Starr, Chloë F. Chinese Theology: Text and Context. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2016. ‡
- Tomlinson, Matt. God is Samoan: Dialogues between Culture and Theology in the Pacific. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2020. ‡
- Boff, Leonardo. Holy Trinity, Perfect Community. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2000.
- Lee, Jung Young. The Trinity in Asian Perspective. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 1996.
- Kitamori, Kazoh. Theology of the Pain of God. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 1965.
- Miyahira, Nozumo. Towards a Theology of the Concord of God: A Japanese Perspective on the Trinity. Carlisle: Paternoster Press, 2000.
- Segundo, Juan Luis. Our Idea of God. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1974.
- Song, C. S. The Compassionate God: An Exercise in the Theology of Transposition. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1982.
- Tennent, Timothy C. Building Christianity on Indian Foundations: The Legacy of Brahmabandhav Upadhyay. Delhi: ISPCK, 2000. ‡
Creation (and Anthropology)
- Boff, Leonardo. Cry of the Earth, Cry of the Poor. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1997.
- Copeland, M. Shawn. Enfleshing Freedom: Body, Race, and Being. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2010.
- Daneel, M. L. African Earthkeepers: Wholistic Interfaith Mission. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2001. ‡
- Gebara, Ivone. Longing for Running Water: Ecofeminism and Liberation. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1999.
- Halapua, Winston. Waves of God’s Embrace: Sacred Perspectives from the Ocean. Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2008.
- Hallman, David G., ed. Ecotheology : voices from South and North. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1994.
- Kagawa, Toyohiko. Cosmic Purpose. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2014.
- Kapolyo, Joe M. The Human Condition: Christian Perspectives Through African Eyes. Carlisle, UK: Langham Global Library, 2013.
- Tofaeono, Ama’amalele, and Ioelu N. Onesemo. Constructing Sa-Moana Contextual Theology: Methodology and Application. Pago Pago, American Samoa: Taumainu’umau Publishing, 2016.
- Woodley, Randy. Shalom and the Community of Creation. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2012.
- Chen, Yongtao. The Chinese Christology of T. C. Chao. Leiden: Brill, 2017. ‡
- Cone, James H. The Cross and the Lynching Tree. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2011.
- Escobar, Samuel. In Search of Christ in Latin America: From Colonial Image to Liberating Savior. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2019.
- Ezigbo, Victor I. Re-Imagining African Christologies: Conversing with the Interpretations and Appropriations of Jesus in Contemporary African Christianity. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2010.
- Kim, Grace Ji-Sun. The Grace of Sophia: A Korean North American Women’s Christology. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2010.
- Nyamiti, Charles. Christ as our Ancestor. Gweru, Zimbabwe: Mambo Press, 1984.
- Orevillo-Montenegro, Muriel. The Jesus of Asian Women. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2006. ‡
- Sadayandy, Batumalai. A Prophetic Christology of Neighbourology: A Theology for a Prophetic Living. Kuala Lumpur: Seminari Theoloji Malaysia, 1986.
- Song, C. S. Jesus the Crucified People. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1990.
- Stinton, Diane B. Jesus of Africa: Voices of Contemporary African Christology. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2004. ‡
- Vashum, Yangkahao. Christology in Context: A Tribal-Indigenous Appraisal of North East India. New Delhi: Christian World Imprints, 2017.
- Ateek, Naim S. Justice and Only Justice: A Palestinian Theology of Liberation. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1989.
- Commission on Theological Concerns of the Christian Conference of Asia, ed. Minjung Theology: People as the Subjects of History. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1983.
- Gutiérrez, Gustavo. A Theology of Liberation: History, Politics, and Salvation, rev. ed. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1988.
- Nee, Watchman. The Normal Christian Life. Fort Washington, PA: CLC Publishers, 2009.
- Tinker, George E. American Indian Liberation: A Theology of Sovereignty. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2008.
- Tutu, Desmond. No Future without Forgiveness. New York: Doubleday, 2000.
- Comblin, José. The Holy Spirit and Liberation. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2004.
- García-Johnson, Oscar. Spirit Outside the Gate: Decolonial Pneumatologies of the American Global South. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2019.
- Kim, Grace Ji-Sun. The Holy Spirit, Chi, and the Other: A Model of Global and Intercultural Pneumatology. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Kim, Kirsteen. The Holy Spirit in the World: A Global Conversation. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2007. ‡
- LeBlanc, Terry. ‘Mi’kmaq and French/Jesuit Understandings of the Spiritual and Spirituality: Implications for Faith’. PhD diss., Asbury Theological Seminary, 2012.
- Ngong, David T. The Holy Spirit and Salvation in African Christian Theology: Imagining a More Hopeful Future for Africa. New York: Peter Lang, 2010.
- Oladipo, Caleb Oluremi. The Development of the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit in the Yoruba (African) Indigenous Christian Movement. New York: Peter Lang, 1996.
- Rayan, Samuel. The Holy Spirit: Heart of the Gospel and Christian Hope. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1978.
- Boff, Leonardo. Ecclesiogenesis: The Base Communities Reinvent the Church. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1994.
- García-Johnson, Oscar. Mestizo/a Community of the Spirit: A Postmodern Latino/a Ecclesiology. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2009.
- Kadaliyil, Abraham. Toward a Relational Spirit Ecclesiology in Asia: A Study on the Documents of the FABC. Saarbrücken: VDM Verlag, 2009.
- Lowery, Stephanie A. Identity and Ecclesiology: Their Relationship among Select African Theologians. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2017. ‡
- Nyamiti, Charles. Some Contemporary Models of African Ecclesiology: A Critical Assessment in the Light of Biblical and Church Teachings. Nairobi: Catholic University of Eastern Africa, 2007.
- Padilla, C. René, and Tetsunao Yamamori, eds. The Local Church, Agent of Transformation: An Ecclesiology for Integral Mission. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Kairos, 2004.
- Isaac, Munther. From Land to Lands, from Eden to the Renewed Earth: A Christ-Centered Biblical Theology of the Promised Land. Cumbria, UK: Langham Monographs, 2015.
- Mbiti, John S. New Testament Eschatology in an African Background. London: Oxford University Press, 1971.
- Padilla, C. René. Mission Between the Times: Essays on the Kingdom, rev. ed. Cumbria, UK: Langham Monographs, 2013.
Last updated January 2022.